《2019国际英语教育中国大会杭州宣言》The Hangzhou Declaration of 2019 Global English Education China Assembly
We, Chinese English educators, gathered in Hangzhou from July 26 to 28, 2019, to engage in extensive exchanges under the theme "English Education in China: A New Era, A Shared Vision" with our enduring commitment to the systematic, holistic and synergistic development of English education in China in the new era.
With socialism with Chinese characteristics having entered a new era, the Chinese people are striving to realize the dream of national rejuvenation，a grand mission which has increased the demand for English education in China. At the same time, the concerted efforts of the world to build a community of a shared future for humankind and to implement the Belt and Road Initiative have created new opportunities.
In February 2019, the CPC Central Committee and the State Council of the People's Republic of China issued two policy documents: China's Education Modernization 2035 and Implementation Plan for Accelerating Education Modernization (2018-2022). The former, a blueprint for the education sector in the new era, put forward eight principles for advancing education modernization, namely, moral education as a top priority; all-round personal growth; education for all; life-long learning; education in accordance with learners'aptitude; integration of knowledge and practice; integrated development; shared pains and gains. Both policy documents embody the spirit of the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China and the National Education Conference, suggest measures to accelerate education modernization in China and open up a new vision of education in the new era. All these not only offer new opportunities to us English educators, but also challenge us to consider English education from a historical and international perspective and understand that English education needs to develop especially with regard to improved quality, efficiency, equity and sustainability.
At the Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations earlier in May, President Xi Jinping emphasized the role of culture and civilization, parallel to the role of the economy, science and technology, in meeting our common challenges and creating a better future for all. Diversity spurs interaction among civilizations, which in turn promotes mutual learning and further development. We need to promote exchanges and mutual learning among countries, nations and cultures around the world, and strengthen popular support for jointly building a community with a shared future for humankind. It is common knowledge that language is the most widely used vehicle of communication among civilizations. Thus, the English education community is obliged to facilitate such exchanges and dialogues, as well as mutual learning, global communication and cooperation between China and the rest of the world. In short, we must play a role in the great endeavor to build a community of with a shared future for humankind and make Chinese national rejuvenation a reality.
The 2018 TESOL China Assembly convened in Shanghai from July 20 to 22, 2018 under the theme "English Education in China: Striding into a New Era." About 2,000 English educators from China and around the world, including English teachers and heads of English education institutions, attended the Assembly to promote English education in China.
The Shanghai Declaration, approved by the Academic Committee of the Assembly, was issued at the end of the assembly and has attracted widespread attention. The Shanghai Declaration describes the background, mission, principles and goals of English education in China in the new era. It further stresses the crucial role of English educators in moral education, the need to cultivate a sense of community and cross-cultural communication skills, and the importance of facilitating the long-cherished "Streamlined Model for Foreign Language Education". Meanwhile, the Declaration equally calls on all English educators to work hard in providing better-quality English education in China in the new era.
Over the past year, the English education community in China has endeavored to answer the call of the Party and State by seizing new opportunities and coping with new challenges. Focusing on our mandate in moral education, we have tried to update our education concepts and teaching methods to ensure healthy and equitable English education in China.
So far, we Chinese English educators have achieved a series of exciting results in basic English education. High school English textbooks have been revised according to the newly adopted English Curriculum Standards for General Senior High Schools (2017 edition). Currently, a number of high school English textbooks that meet the standards of the new curriculum have been reviewed and approved by the Ministry of Education. A lot of training workshops have been organized for English teachers in China on the new curriculum standards, new textbooks, and new teaching methods. It is believed that the application of the new standards will boost the development of English education in China. Early this year, the revision of the Compulsory English Curriculum Standards officially started, and extensive and in-depth research is going on in full swing to support the revision.
Over the past year, English education in China's institutions of higher learning has also made new progress. Under the "Double First-Class" project, the Chinese University Alliance of Foreign Language and Literature Discipline (CUAFLL) built up a high-quality education resources sharing platform which also serves as a cooperation platform intended to explore the goals, tasks and paths for upgrading foreign language education in institutions of higher learning. Under the guidance of the National Standards of Teaching Quality for Undergraduate Foreign Language Majors and the Guidelines on College English Teaching (discussion paper), English education, including instruction to English and non-English majors, is trying to renew itself in terms of content and model, especially aligning the curriculum reform with the prevailing model of social and economic development. We are striving to offer high-level, innovative and challenging "premium courses" to cultivate more and better-quality talents with English proficiency.
This year marks the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China. It is also a critical year in China's endeavor to build a well-off society in an all-round way, the first centennial goal of China. This year, the education sector will take substantive action in the spirit of the National Education Conference to make meaningful breakthroughs.
This time, we are gathering to promote and deepen exchanges between Chinese and international English educators, demonstrate China's achievements in English education, and explore how to advance English education in China in the new era.
Recalling the profound impact, guiding philosophy, basic principles and general goals of English education in China in the new era put forward in the Shanghai Declaration, we reaffirm our commitment to English education in China in the new era. We confirm that it is our common responsibility to build a powerful team of English teachers with outstanding ethical standards, professionalism and innovative ability, it is our common goal to promote overall personal growth via improving morality, language skills, cultural awareness, critical thinking and learning ability through English education , and it is our common aspiration to establish an English education system that fits in well with China's realities, that reflects Chinese characteristics, and that reaches the world standard.
Looking forward, we are determined to take concerted actions as follows:
1. Undertake moral education based on Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era. We will integrate core socialist values in English education and teaching, tap the resources of other disciplines and traditional Chinese culture to raise students' pride in their Chinese identity, strengthen their cultural confidence and literacy, foster their moral integrity, and cultivate their fine character.
2. Serve China's national strategies and economic and social development. Based on the new requirements for English education in the new era particularly its contribution to building the community with a shared future for humankind and implementing the Belt and Road Initiative, we will strive to inspire students to develop a world vision, enhance their global competence and cross-cultural communication skills and improve their academic and professional levels to enhance their ability to render services and promote exchanges among civilizations and communicate China's wisdom and approach to the global community.
3. Build a strong team of English teachers with both fine morality and professional excellence. We will try to improve the professional ethics of English teachers by considering ethics as the top criterion for evaluating the performance and competence of English teachers. We are convinced this will translate into fine moral education for students. At the same time, we will help English teachers to better understand the academic feature and the subject nature of English education, enhance their professional competence, and consequently build a team of highly qualified professional English teachers.
4. Promote innovation with the "Streamlined Model for Foreign Language Education". We will build a platform of interconnectivity for English teachers from primary schools, secondary schools and institutions of higher learning to implement the alignment education approach. The design, implementation and evaluation of courses, the development of teaching materials and learning resources as well as the training of teachers will be coordinated in a way that the fulfillment of goals at every stage will add up naturally to the realization of the overall goal.
5. Promote the integration of ICT with English education. We will try to build a new model of English education based on information and communication technologies (ICT). At the same time, we will focus on the real needs of schools, teachers and students by applying advanced information technologies such as big data, cloud computing and artificial intelligence to promote targeted English teaching, cross-regional teacher training and regular teacher-student exchanges.
6. Promote English reading among young students. It is our goal to develop appropriate English reading materials suited to the cognitive development, language levels and interests of students. English reading activities will be organized to help students gradually develop reading skills and reading habits and improve their reading efficiency. Students will be guided properly to read systematically and critically to identify problems, improve literacy, and increase knowledge.
7. Play a role in education programs intended to revitalize the central and western regions. We will further support English education in the central and western regions of China, expand the access to high-quality English education resources, and help to improve the competence of English teachers as a way to boost English education in the central and western regions, especially in the poverty-stricken areas.
8. Build a bridge between Chinese and international English educators. While boosting English education in China, we will not only consider Chinese characteristics and regional realities, but also embrace the best practices overseas with an open mind and a broad vision. In other words, we will introduce international experience into China and contribute Chinese wisdom to the world for the benefit of global English education.
Let's put together Chinese and international wisdom and experience, embrace both current realities and future trends, and build a modern system of English education with Chinese characteristics as well as of world level. We will work together to print a new chapter of China's English education in the new era.